Roasted & Curried Butternut Squash Soup
Write a review
- 2 ½ pounds butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 large yellow onions, quartered
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 4 chunks
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon medium curry powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place squash halves, onion, garlic and ginger onto baking sheet. Wrap garlic in foil and set on baking sheet with other vegetables. Roast in the center of the oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze garlic cloves out of their skins like a paste into a food processor. Scrape the flesh from the squash and place into the food processor along with the roasted onion and ginger. Puree until smooth. Add broth if necessary. Transfer the pureed mixture to a stock pot and stir in broth.
- Heat on medium heat, adding salt, pepper and curry, 1 tablespoon cilantro and cinnamon. While the mixture is hot, but before it bubbles, slowly stir in coconut milk. Add until soup is desired color and thickness for your taste, then allow mixture to bubble.
- Set heat to low and continue to cook for 10 minutes more. Garnish with fresh cilantro.