Pistachio Almond Milk Ice Cream
Write a review
- 2 ½ cups almond milk
- ½ Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 c coconut sugar, divided
- 2 ¼ cups chopped roasted, unsalted pistachios, shelled, divided
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Pinch salt
- 6 large eggs yolks
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together the milk, vanilla, half of the sugar and 1 ½ cup pistachios. Bring the mixture just to a boil. Remove from heat and let the mixture steep for 1-2hours. After steeping, add the coconut milk and salt and gradually return the mixture just to a boil over medium-low heat.
- When the milk/pistachio mixture is reheating, combine the yolks and remaining sugar in a medium heat-proof bowl. Using a hand mixer on low speed or a whisk, beat until mixture is pale and thick.
- Once the milk/pistachio mixture has come to a slight boil, whisk about 1/3 of the hot mixture into the yolk/sugar mixture. Add another 1/3 of the mixture, then return the combined mixture to the saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, stir constantly over low heat until it thickens slightly and coats the back of the spoon. This mixture must NOT boil or the yolks will over cook. The process should only take a few minutes.
- Stir in the almond extract and pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer, discarding the pistachios. Bring to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Turn on the ice cream maker; pour the mixture in and let mix until thickened, about 20 minutes. When the ice cream is almost done, add the remaining toasted pistachios to be mixed in. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. If a firmer consistency is desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in freezer for about 2 hours. Remove from freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
- Makes about 5 cups.
- *This recipe is perfectly proportioned for a 1 ½ quart ice cream maker like the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.