Green Bean Casserole
Write a review
Onion Topping Ingredients
- 2-3 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or tallow for frying (I use tallow)
Healthy Cream of Mushroom Sauce Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 of onion mix above
- 8-10 mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 egg yolks
- coconut milk or water to thin
- fresh green beans or 2-3 bags of frozen, just heat first to remove extra liquid (or 5 cans of cut or french style green beans)
- Thinly slice all the onions, separate, and put in medium bowl.
- Add the two eggs and the coconut milk and mix well until evenly incorporated.
- Add coconut flour and mix by hand until evenly coated (note: may use slightly more or less depending on your brand of coconut flour.)
- Put tallow in large skillet and turn on medium high heat.
- When hot, add the coated onions and evenly brown, turning occasionally.
- When browned, remove from heat and set aside.
- In medium sauce pan, melt butter and sauté mushrooms until starting to brown, then add cream or coconut milk.
- Whisk in egg yolks and spices and about 1/3 of the onion topping mixture and continue stirring until the yolks begin to cook and the mixture thickens.
- Add extra milk or water if needed to thin (only a few tablespoons might be needed).