Chicken Tortilla Soup
Write a review
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ jalapeno, minced
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- cilantro (optional)
- lime juice (optional)
- Bring 4 cups chicken broth to a boil.
- In separate pan, sear chicken with salt and pepper.
- While chicken is searing, cut all the vegetables and press garlic.
- Sauté onion, garlic, jalapeno in the bottom of a large soup pot with several tablespoons of olive oil. Sauté about 5 minutes.
- While vegetables are sautéing, open all the cans and measure out the spices.
- Add all ingredients to the large soup pot and bring to a boil.
- After 20 minutes, remove chicken breasts and shred with 2 forks, pulling in opposite directions.
- Return shredded chicken to pot and simmer for 45 minutes (can simmer for up to 2 hours).
- You can add more seasonings after it cooks. If you want the soup spicier you can add more red pepper, etc. Feel free to experiment! This makes a big pot of soup. If it all won’t fit, don’t add all the chicken broth.